Welcome to our comprehensive travel guide, where we delve into the enchanting city of Fes and its neighboring attractions in Morocco. Immerse yourself in the rich history, vibrant culture, and architectural wonders that await you in this captivating region. From navigating the labyrinthine streets of the medina to venturing out to nearby cities, this guide will ensure an unforgettable journey through Morocco’s most fascinating destinations.
Practical Tips for Traveling to Fes City:
Before embarking on your adventure, it’s essential to familiarize yourself with some practical tips. Dress respectfully, plan your transportation, and hire a local guide to navigate the medina’s winding streets. Discover more valuable advice on transportation, accommodation, and local customs to make the most of your trip.
Must-See Attractions in Fes City:
“In the Heart of Fes: Explore a city steeped in history and culture, where every corner holds treasures of the past. Immerse yourself in these must-see attractions to fully experience the rich heritage and architectural wonders of this enchanting city:
- Fes el-Bali (Old Medina): Roam through Fes el-Bali, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the city’s oldest district. Wander its narrow lanes, brimming with vibrant markets, historic mosques, and traditional dwellings. Don’t forget to witness the iconic tanneries, where skilled artisans craft colorful leather goods.
- Al-Qarawiyyin Mosque and University: Step into the Al-Qarawiyyin Mosque, established in 859 AD and renowned as the world’s oldest continuously operating university. Admire its stunning Moroccan design, serene courtyards, and elegant prayer halls. Although non-Muslims can’t access the prayer area, you can still appreciate its exterior and the library, home to ancient manuscripts.
- Bou Inania Madrasa: Be captivated by Bou Inania Madrasa, a 14th-century Islamic school celebrated for its intricate woodwork, ornate plaster carvings, and mesmerizing mosaic tiles. Explore the central courtyard, prayer hall, and student quarters adorned with exquisite geometric patterns and graceful calligraphy.
- Dar Batha Museum: Delve into Moroccan art at Dar Batha Museum, housed within a 19th-century palace. It showcases traditional ceramics, woodcraft, textiles, and exquisite jewelry. Take a moment to enjoy the tranquil gardens surrounding the museum.
- Mellah (Jewish Quarter): Uncover the heritage of Fes’s Jewish community in the Mellah. Visit the Jewish cemetery and the beautifully restored Ibn Danan Synagogue, a place of worship that proudly displays Fes’s rich Jewish history.
- Royal Palace: Marvel at the majestic Royal Palace, although interior access is restricted. Admire its grand golden doors and intricate wall tilework, a testament to Morocco’s architectural opulence.
- Jardin Jnan Sbil: Escape the hustle and bustle of the medina and find serenity in Jardin Jnan Sbil. This enchanting garden welcomes you with lush greenery, bubbling fountains, and a riot of colorful blooms. Enjoy a leisurely stroll or find a tranquil nook to unwind.
Exploring the Surrounding Cities:
Venture beyond the city and uncover the hidden gems found in the neighboring cities. Discover the majestic blue streets of Chefchaouen, the imperial grandeur of Meknes, and the Roman ruins of Volubilis. This section will take you on a journey through the diverse landscapes, captivating history, and unique experiences that await you just a stone’s throw away from Fes.
Accommodation Options in Fes:
To ensure a comfortable stay, we’ve compiled a table of different hotel ranges, complete with prices and specifications. Additionally, whether you prefer a luxurious riad in the heart of the medina or a modern hotel overlooking the city, this comprehensive accommodation guide will help you choose the perfect place to rest and rejuvenate during your Fes adventure.
|Hotel Name||Expedia Link||Specification||Price Range|
|Palais Medina & Spa||Book now||5-star luxury hotel with pool and spa||$130 – $239|
|Barceló Fès Medina||Book now||Boutique hotel in the heart of the city||$80 – $110|
|Hotel ibis Fes||Book now||3-star Fes hotel in Ville Nouvelle with 24-hour business center||$50- $60|
|Riad Raouia||Book now||Historic riad with traditional Moroccan decor||$80 – $140|
|Mia Hotels Fes||Book now||Budget-friendly hotel close to major attractions||$30 – $50|
|Palais Faraj Suites & Spa||Book now||Luxury Fes hotel in Fes El Bali with full-service spa||$300 – $900|
Leaving Fes City with cherished memories of vibrant souks, stunning architecture, and Moroccan hospitality is inevitable. From the bustling medina to serene gardens, Fes offers an unforgettable experience that lingers.
As you explore Morocco further, may Fes’s enchantment stay with you. Discover the coastal allure of Casablanca, the historic depth of Marrakech, Chefchaouen’s blue beauty, and the Sahara’s desert marvels in Merzouga. Each city has its unique charm and tales to share.